Monday, September 5, 2011

Something new...

I still have some mid-fire buff clay left in the recycle bucket, and I wanted to try a few different ideas out before I get these fired.  I haven't decided if I want to wait until I get my kiln wired and fire them here, or just go ahead and take them down to L&R for the bisque firing, and be done with it.  The longer these sit around green, the more likely something is going to happen to them.  Once all of this mid-fire clay is used up, my plan is to switch to earthenware clay for most of the pieces I will be making.  I think it will be a more economical choice, and easier to focus on one type of clay and learn all I can about it here in the next few years.  Best laid plans, as they say...

This is a lidded jar I made with the buff stoneware this past week.  It's slab built, with Spectrum black underglaze.  This time, instead of a sgraffito decoration, I cut out paper stencils... moistened them with a little slip, and applied them to the leather hard pot; then I brushed the underglaze over them.  Once the underglaze was slightly dry, I peeled the stencils off.  Later, I lightly wiping down the jar with a damp sponge to soften the edges of the design. I also took a toothpick and lightly scratching the trees to give them some depth.  I thought it turned out pretty good.  As with all of these, I can't wait to see the finished pot.  It will get a light, clear glaze on the exterior, also.

1 comment:

  1. I was getting ready to clear glaze the lid of this jar last night, and it slipped out of my hand and hit the work bench... broke the little ribbon handle right off. DANG! And the jar is designed in such a way that without the lid, it wouldn't look right. So the whole thing is in several pieces in my garden, now. Back to the earth you go. I will be making more of these. Accidents happen.

    ReplyDelete