Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Creative momentum

Time.  Artistic pursuits require unfettered time to blossom, and grow.  Right now, my time for such things comes in fragments.  An hour here, a couple of hours there.  That's just the way it is.  I'm not complaining, but it can be very frustrating sometimes.  Many artists speak in glowing terms about creative momentum; about those times when there is no time... just you and your craft, with little or no awareness that hours are passing.  When I read articles about artists, they will occasionally make a casual comment about being so caught up in the creative process, that they forget to eat.  Funny.  I don't have that problem.
I got home from work yesterday, and after goofing around with Gabriel for a few minutes and getting some other things done around the house, I went down to the basement to get started on a piece of pottery that I've had rattling around in my head for the past couple of days.  We had band rehearsal last night, but I thought I could at least get started on my idea before I had to leave.  Unfortunately, my mind just wasn't in the game, and the slab of clay that I had neatly rolled out for my new piece of pottery, quickly turned into a mashed up pile on my work bench (with a very nice impression of my fist in the middle).  Things didn't go so well.  So much for the creative process.  There's always tomorrow.  An hour here... a couple of hours there.  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment