Sunday, February 12, 2012

My home town... West Plains, Missouri

 Looking east toward the court house and the square from the corner of Langston Street and West Main.  All of these pictures were taken on February 6th, 2011.  We were in West Plains for Pam's mother's funeral.
 Looking west from the corner of Langston Street and West Main.  The big building on the left side of the picture is the First Christian Church.  Our family was a member of that church from before I was born, I'm pretty sure... long time.
 Looking toward the southwest corner of the square.
 Looking toward the southeast corner of the square from the west side.  The gray building is the courthouse, and the red building in the center is the old Aid's Hardware store.
 West Plains Opera House... I worked in this building when it was the Sterlings Store and Magic Mart, starting after I graduated HS in the Spring of 1976 through the Fall of 1977.
Looking south down Aid Avenue... what used to be called South Main Street.  We took this street to get to our house, all the way out to where South Main ends at the bypass.  The odd looking building in the center is the Zorn Building; and the small brick building just past the Zorn Building was my father's pharmacy for many years.  I was born in West Plains in 1958 and lived there till my late teens.  West Plains is my home town, and even though it looks kind of bleak in these pictures (it really isn't) it was a great place to grow up.

1 comment: