Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Excuses... excuses...

Work, band rehearsals and gigs, violent storms and torrential, seemingly non-stop, rain, a twice flooded basement/studio, the eruption of a volcano in our cul-de-sac (OK... I made up that last one).  Well you get the picture.  It's been crazy around here these past couple of weeks!  And as a result, I have managed to get very little done in the world of pottery.  c'est la vie
We have about a dozen potted tomato plants (plus various other vegetable seedlings) sitting around in cardboard boxes in our kitchen, just aching to be in the garden... if I only had a garden.  The back yard is squishy.  That's the best description I can come up with right now.  When we walk across it... gingerly tip-toe across the back yard on our way to what should be a garden, water squishes out from under each footstep.  We have had so much rain here in southern Missouri (all over the mid-west and southern states) this past week or so, that it has seriously been impossible to get anything done around the house, outside.  And you would rightly say... well then that should leave you plenty of time to get stuff done indoors; like making pottery.  Great!... but, no.  Eventually everything will settle down and the lazy days of summer will set in.  I hope.  But for now, it's non-stop.  So I guess this is my way of saying that my grand schemes of devoting several hours each week to making pottery, will just have to simmer on the back burner for a while.  I am going to have to put my foot down soon, and absolutely carve out time for these things that I want so badly to accomplish.  It really does come down to that, and it is frustrating that I have allowed myself to get caught up in so many distractions and other obligations.  But for now... I need to go downstairs and check on the sump pump, and make sure that the basement is drying out.  The need-to-do list is long.  But as soon as I check on the basement, I'm going to bed.  I'm exhausted.  Tomorrow's another day, and hey... they say the sun will be shining, and we can expect at least two rain-free days in a row!  How about that!  Of course, that also means that I will be mowing the lawn this evening... Hmmmmmm,  I may have to rent a hay baler.  At any rate, there may yet be hope for those tomato plants, and that long to-do list; and once I get my studio back in order (soon... very soon) I will be back making pottery and exploring a bunch of ideas that are just sitting in a sketch book right now.  I can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment